Pennsylvania is home to more than 547 solar businesses, making it one of the largest solar employers in the nation. Solar firms in this state offer a wide variety of solar goods and services, including solar cell and module manufacturing, as well as residential and commercial solar installations.
Facts on the Pennsylvania Solar Industry
– There are currently more than 547 solar companies1 at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania, employing 2,498 people2.
– In 2015, Pennsylvania installed 13 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking it 26th nationally. Installed solar capacity in Pennsylvania has grown by 25% over the last year3.
– In 2015, $32 million was invested on solar installations in Pennsylvania. This represents a 21% increase over the previous year, and is expected to grow again this year.
– The 265 MW of solar energy currently installed in Pennsylvania ranks the state 15th in the country in installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 31,000 homes.
– Over the next five years, Pennsylvania is expected to install 325 MW of solar electric capacity, ranking the state 28th over that time span. This amount is more than 2 times the amount of solar installed over the last five years.
– Installed solar PV system prices in the U.S. have dropped steadily- by 12% from last year and 66% from 2010.
Notable Solar Installations in Pennsylvania
– Pennsylvania Solar Park was completed in 2014 by developer Green Energy Capital Partners. This photovoltaic project has the capacity to generate 10 MW of electricity– enough to power over 1,200 Pennsylvania homes.
– At 6 MW, Keystone Solar Project in Lancaster County is among the largest solar installations in Pennsylvania. Completed in 2012 by Community Energy, this photovoltaic project has enough electric capacity to power more than 700 homes.
– Several large retailers in Pennsylvania have gone solar, including IKEA, Crayola, Staples, Walmart, and Kohl’s. Snyder’s has installed one of the largest corporate photovoltaic systems in the state with 3,500 kW of solar capacity at their location in Hanover.
Solar Companies in Pennsylvania
There are currently more than 547 solar companiesÂ at work throughout the value chain in Pennsylvania. Â These companies provide a wide variety of solar products and services ranging from solar system installations to the manufacturing of components used in photovoltaic panels. Â These companies can be broken down across the following categories: 118 manufacturers, 46 manufacturing facilities, 284 contractor/installers, 28 project developers, 27 distributors and 90 engaged in other solar activities including financing, engineering and legal support.